One item that I think is great for fall and winter decorating is pine cones. I’ve collected quite a bit over the years and have all sizes that I like to display on my mantle. A way to make pine cones fun and festive is to add glitter. I mean, adding glitter to anything makes it fun and festive right? Or as Mr. DA says once November 1st hits “Now the whole house will be covered in glitter…”
Hey, it’s the holidays hubs, work with me. A very easy craft you can make so sparkle up your home this season is to make glitter pine cones.
- Pine cones – I’ve gotten mine from flea markets, the woods, and floral shops
- Glue – Elmers or craft glue is perfect, nothing fancy needed here
- Glitter – Any color!
- Paint brush with a small brush part
- A tray or bowl to collect the glitter, depending on your work surface
This is some of my collection. I have really large ones too, from a floral shop.
You can almost guess the steps in this tutorial.1. Apply the glue to your pine cone tips. This will take you the longest time. I usually put it in a bowl and paint it on. You can see some leftover glitter from a Halloween project in the bowl.
I put the glue on the tips of the cones, but I’m sure you can really get it all over if you wanted.
2. Next: Shake, shake, shake. Get the glitter on the glue.
3. And lastly, Dust off your pine cone (making sure to dump out the glitter from the inside of the pine cone as a lot will get stuck in there), save the glitter for later and viola! Glitterized pine cones.
I’ve only done silver and gold, but I want to try it with other fun colors. Glitter comes in every color these days right?
I use these pine cones on my mantles and tables. They are seasonal, fun, and sparkly. Not to mention easy and cheap. What could be better for a craft?
Alison at House of Hepworth also glitterized her pine cones. I love her suggestion of using spray adhesive on the pine cones, then put it and glitter in a bag and shaking it up. That would work perfect. Random Thoughts of a Super Mom does that here. Miss Mustard Seed made some with glass glitter too.
Will you make glittered pine cones this season?
See all of my holiday projects here.
Sharing with Made You Look Linky at Made in a Day, Hooking Up With HOH at House of Hepworths, Show Me What Ya Got at Not Just a Housewife, Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts, Simply You at Simply Kierste
Get access to my free library of DIY resources!
These free printables will help you create spaces you love and include checklists, cleaning & organizing projects. Let's get started!