Winter is such a dry season, and the appropriate time to keep the air quality inside of your home healthy with moisture. This can be easily done with a humidifier. During the coldest days of winter it seems like our humidifier is constantly running. All that use can put a lot wear on it, but it’s easy to take care of your humidifier in just a few steps.
Here is How to Clean a Humidifier:
(contains affiliate links)
- Humidifier (this is similar to what we have)
- New filter (find your’s on Amazon)
Before you clean your humidifier, consult with the instruction manual that came with it. If you can’t find the manual, do a search online. Usually companies have links to instructions on how to clean their appliances.
1. First, unplug your humidifier. Take it apart and empty the water container. Separate the pieces and discard the old filter.
2. You’ll see the parts that need attention. They build up with residue that needs washing. Make a spray with water and vinegar (or just pour vinegar into the base of the humidifier). Use a wet sponge to wipe down the base.
Scrub until the base is clean as a whistle.
3. Wash out the water basin. Pour some vinegar into it and shake to clean it out. Rinse the basin well.
4. Wipe down the rest of the parts of the humidifier. Use the vinegar on the sponge to clean any parts you can reach. (Some of the humidifier parts may be cleaned in your dishwasher, but be sure to check the humidifier’s manual.)
5. Replace the filter. New filters can be hard to find in stores but they are available on Amazon or other online retailers. Look at the difference between the old and new filters below, yuck!
6. Put the humidifier back together and you’re done. Keep your humidifier clean and it will keep your home healthy all season.
If you are in a cleaning mood, see these other helpful cleaning posts:
- How to Clean Your Oven Door Naturally with No Scrubbing
- How to Easily Clean Your Kitchen in 8 Steps
- How to Set Up an Easy Cleaning Routine
Get access to my free library of DIY resources!
These free printables will help you create spaces you love and include checklists, cleaning & organizing projects. Let's get started!