December is the most wonderful month of the year and these early days are perfect for holiday decorating. I’m sure you are decking your halls and getting ready to have a festive season.
One of my favorite ways to get ready for the holidays is to hang wreaths. I admit, I’m a wreath addict. I have them in many sizes and many colors. They are the perfect holiday decor item and one of the easiest to use. Today I want to show you five steps to beautiful holiday wreaths, come see!
- A wreath
- Holiday lights or fairy lights
- Holiday decor accessories
- Green twine
The type of wreath you use for this project is up to you. The most common wreaths are evergreen and can be found at many retailers including grocery and home improvement stores. They also come in different types such as boxwood, fir, pine, cypress, and more. Real or fake wreaths will both work for decorating. Grab a wreath (or three!) and let’s get started.
5 Steps for Beautiful Holiday Wreaths:
1. The fluffing. Wreaths often get smushed during shipping. Pull out the branches and shape them in a nice circle. The before and after will be dramatic and can make the wreath even bigger. Real wreaths may have some dry spots or unshapely branches, which you can easily trim off.
2. Add a hanger. This is easiest done when the wreath is not yet decorated and can be something as simple as adding twine rope that will hook onto a door or wreath hanger. A simple hanger can be used alone.
3. Add lights to get the full holiday effect. These days you can purchase several types and shapes of lights that are battery operated (no more cords hanging from the wall or door.)
Simply wrap the lights around the wreath and tie the battery back onto the back with twine. You can add more than one string. These very thin battery operated lights are called fairy lights, which you can get here (affiliate link).
4. Ribbon and ornaments. Now the fun begins because you can add just about anything you’d like to a holiday wreath. Ribbons and ornaments are the most popular items, but don’t limit the decorating there. Add unexpected elements like snowflakes, disco balls or a large object hanging in the middle. Only your creativity is the limit of wreath decorating.
Add ornaments, hook them onto a hanger and slide those onto the branches. Wired garlands come in different colors which are fun to wrap around the branches. These hangers are pretty and easy to use (affiliate link).
These glitter snowflakes are my favorite holiday decor item. They can be used in so many ways and come in every color and size. They look great on a wreath, don’t you think?
For different look using the same wreath base, you can add ribbon and a group of ornaments. Wrap the ribbon loosely around the wreath and tuck some of it in between the branches. Two colors add more elegance.
To create a cluster of ornaments, string them onto some twine and tie it around the wreath.
Add more large glitter snowflakes hanging from the cluster for more pizzazz.
5. Hang up your wreath! Don’t limit your decorating to doors. Decorate bookshelves, windows or simply a wall. Command hooks, wreath hangers and ribbons can be used to hang a wreath just about any place.
The possibilities are endless, which makes wreaths a fun and versatile holiday decor item. Have fun, happy decorating.
Get access to my free library of DIY resources!
These free printables will help you create spaces you love and include checklists, cleaning & organizing projects. Let's get started!